Saturday, August 17, 2013

depression






I'm not sure if it's possible to be a family caregiver and not develop depression. Strange as it may sound, I think I'm lucky that I've dealt with depression before all this started. It takes many forms, and I think it's important for caregivers to seek support from the start. Not the start of feeling sad or numb, but the start of being a caregiver. I had (and still have) a list a mile long of things that need doing. They range from stupid little things like vacuuming the house to the big things like researching assisted living. With a list like that, finding a psychiatrist or support group might not seem a top priority. Oh, how very very wrong we are.

If you're a caregiver and you aren't already seeking some sort of support (independent of your loved one), do it now.

If you know a caregiver, or if someone is caring for you, and you don't understand depression, read these. She's hilarious, but she's also spot-on.

Adventures in Depression Part 1
Adventures in Depression Part 2



Image: Erwin Olaf's "Irene" from "Grief," 2007, link.


No comments:

Post a Comment